Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Week 7

So we are right in the heart of the grind now, and this will probably last until I hit my goal weight of 180 lbs. What this means is that my weight will flux up and down from day to day, like this past week when I hit 219 on Wednesday, 220 on Thursday, 219.5 on Friday, 220 on Saturday, 219 on Sunday, and finally 218 on Monday and today (Tuesday). If I was only going on a weekly weighin basis on Saturday's it would look like I had lost nothing from one Saturday to the next (both at 220) but in reality the first was a new low and the second was a local high flux. Over time, as long as you follow your plan, the trend will be downward but the local daily fluctuations can be disheartening if you let them get to you.

So, while Saturday's weight was the same week on week, I'm actually down two pounds from last week which makes me very happy indeed, sitting at 13.5 lbs lost since Jan 1st.

Which brings me to the next topic: the most dangerous thing about losing weight as an obese person.

When you are really overweight, and you decide to start a weight loss plan, the first few pounds are easy and before you know it you've lost a belt size or two and you feel amazing! Hardly anyone looking at you can see a difference but you feel great, and lighter, and healthier, despite losing less than 5% of your mass. And that's when the slipups can happen. "Its ok, I should reward myself." Or: "Just this once." The slipups start occasionally.... then more often... then BAM your weight loss plan is in the garbage and you slowly get back into the bad habits again.

The moral of the story is this: eternal vigilance. You are not on a weight loss program, you are trying to change a lifestyle.

Saturday weight: 220.0 lbs